Friday, May 29, 2009

Count Me In

A Census taker rang my doorbell today. A nice looking older man in a yellow Census polo shirt with an id badge and a small computer attached to his wrist. He told me he was part of The Census Bureau and needed to verify my address - which he did. I thought it was strange cause it says my address right on my door. Then he asked if I had any apartments in my house with people living it - I don't. He handed me a sheet of paper from The Census Bureau and punched some stuff into his wrist computer and went on his way to the next house. Look out Bayport Bubble - we are being counted! I find the whole process of taking The Census very interesting.
=)

1 comment:

  1. FYI: The Census representative you met today (called an "enumerator" or "lister") was updating the Bureau's Address List and maps in preparation for the 2010 Census. This is an extremely important effort because the Bureau needs to get a questionnaire to every household next year to ensure an accurate count. That's the reason for asking about apartments or other places on the premises where people might live—to ensure that each would-be household gets either a form in the mail or an enumerator visit next year.

    Although the lister probably didn't need to ask you for your address because the house number is posted, it's still not that crazy. I was canvassing in my part of the country and encountered a woman who, after having her house painted, put her house numbers up in the wrong order. Had I gone by the posted numbers, a house might have been skipped in 2010.

    ReplyDelete